Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lover Mine by J R Ward

Title:  Lover Mine
Author:  J R Ward
Released: April 27, 2010
Series:  Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 8th
How I Got It:  Purchased

Book Summary:
In the darkest corners of the night in Caldwell, New York, a conflict like no other rages.  Long divided as a terrifying battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the city is home to a band of brothers born to defend their race: the warrior vampires of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him.  After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was-or his true identity.  Indeed, the fallen Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny.  as a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call upon both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.

Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between herself and John Matthew.  Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall llprey to the darkness of her twisted life.  when fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.

My Thoughts
I was not entirely impressed with this book.  I was so excited to get my hands on this book, that I even tried to find it out before the due date.  Now we all know that some stores are guilty of this, and I was hoping praying that Wal-Mart would not recognize the important of the BDB series and would put the book out early.  But nooooo, those cocksuckers put other books out early, (oh, yeah, I watched daily) but couldn't put this one out.  And, my middle finger goes to that new Barnes and Noble clerk that was about to sell me a copy, until he had to go all newbie on me and had to ask his co-worker a freakin' question.  He comes back to me and says "I'm sorry ma'am, but that book doesn't come out until Tuesday.  Would you like for me to hold it for you?"  Hell ffffffing naw!

Okay, back to the review.
 
I did enjoy every minute of  John and Xhex, it's just that I think their story deserved a little more. It was great that they ended up together, but I just felt like it was missing something.  Probably that same something that Covet was missing.  What?  Not sure, but it's something. 

I was all for the tat showing his dedication to his lady love whether she accepted him or not.  I was also loving the way they vibed when he finally got her back.   I was in tears when JM was all she wanted, trusted, and leaned on.  I thought it was so sweet that she held onto him like her security blankie. (Sigh)  Finally!  This is why I love you, J R Ward.  But why did  JM have to go and spoil the romance with a  line like, "I want in you." Couldn't he have said something sexy like, "God, I want you."  Damn, bonded males are never gentleman when they really want it.

So damn glad that Lash got popped.  I have been waiting for someone to kick his ass from day one.  But, what happened to the mega showdown between good and evil?  I was looking for a longer ass kicking.  Maybe something slow and painful symphath style.   Butch could have snorted him up after Xhex got through with him just to make sure that he'd never come back.

On the other hand, I think he should have been kept around a little bit longer.  Happy endings always have to have some type of drama to keep us interested.  I think there should have been some type of plot where the Omega ended up taking Lash out, because Lash became too powerful.  They could have had a fight to the death, to see who would be the last Omega standing.  It was clear the Lash was truly his Father's son and headed to Omegadom.  Maybe that's why the O didn't hesitate to put the hit out.

Anyhoo, glad JM and Xhex got it right, got it together, and yadda yadda yadda, but does that mean that they are going to turn into side stories like my fav couple, Rhage and Mary?  After a couple has their HEA, it's like "that's a wrap" and we hear about them every now and then.

I guess now I'll have to transfer my obsession to the train wreck love affair that is or isn't Qhinn and Blay.  If those two don't just rip each other's leathers off and just take care of the business, I am going to scream!
Serves Qhinn right to have to watch Saxton become his buddy's jump off.  Blay has damn near begged for the booty, got denied, so now he's on to the next.  If these two do end up together, I think they'll always have a threesome going on with a female just to keep Qhinn "normal".  If Q does cheat, I'd love to punch him in one of his mismatched eyes so hard, that they'd both become the same color!

I actually like Blay and Saxton together-for awhile. Just long enough for Q to get himself together and realize that Blay is his mate.  It wouldn't be fair to put them together and have Q just going through the motions with B. Like I've said before, I don't really care for M/M, but for these two, I make the exception.  Their romance, or whatever they call it, is just too hawt to ignore.

As for Saxton, he is a wonderful character and deserves more development. While JM is busy having his HEA, Saxton becomes the third wheel in the B and Q triangle.  There's going to be alot of growling, fang baring, and  bonding scents roaring. Will B have to chose between Q and S?   Yay!  It's about to get supa messy at the Brotherhood Mansion and I am going to love every minute of it.

My Rating
I give it 4 stars. I really wanted to give it 5 stars since I bought the ebook for my Nook, then bought the hardcover for my collection.  Sadly, I cannot give what is not deserved.
To be honest, a lot of stuff, I didn't read and others I was like...uhh, okaay.  The main thing I was focused on was the JM/Xhex/Lash  and the Qhuinn/Blay/Saxton dramas.  All the other stuff was really unimportant and could have been left out.

The paranormal investigators stuff was kinda wack so I skipped over it.  I got the gist of what it represented and maybe later I'll actually read it.

I thought the Darius back story was going to lead into a big revelation on JM's part, but I guess that's going to play out slowly in future books. Something else to look forward to.

The Payne and Vishous reunion was sweet. Oh, the Scribe Virgin so needs her glowing ass checked.   And who better than her own children to go toe to toe with her.  Now we can get to know Vishous a little better and hopefully Butch will find some other shit to do.  I still don't care for him and just wish he and Marisa would just walk into the Fade together!

Anyhoo, I don't know if I'll be as excited about the next book.   Still love you Warden, but if it doesn't have some major Q and B action or Mannie and Payne aren't all that, or Mannie and Payne don't dust the Scribe Virgin, I think I'll be checking it out at the library.  For now, the thrill is gone, so please, please, please, make it juicy!

4 Talk to me!:

Amy J said...

I am reading this right now and I am having the exact same feelings!! I thought I was the only one feeling this!

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I'm only on book two of this series-so I just skimmed your review. I can't wait to get to it!

Anonymous said...

I never really got into the BDB (not that I tried very hard, lol, Lover mine was just ... blah) ... but your review is hilarious :D

Unknown said...

Oh, and I was so waiting for this book. Now, well I'm terrified I'm going to be disappointed. :-(