Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sins Of The Heart by Eve Silver

Title:  Sins Of The Heart
Author:  Eve Silver
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series:  The Otherkin Trilogy, Book 1
Release Date:  August 1, 2010
How I Got It:  ARC ebook from Net Galley

Book Summary
Half-human, half-god, Dagan Krayl is the Underworld’s most powerful soul reaper. When one of his brothers is murdered, Dagan must use every ounce of his power to hunt down those responsible for his brutal death. But he must move swiftly—and carefully—if he’s to have any chance of resurrecting his brother.
Yet that resurrection could wreak havoc on the mortal world. As an Otherkin, Roxy Tam has sworn to protect the human race and it’s her mission to stop Dagan. But when she sees him face to face, she realizes that she has seen him once before—a meeting that changed her life forever.
Neither Dagan nor Roxy expect to join forces for the sake of mankind. Or have their loyalties tested as they struggle against the potent desire that threatens to consume them both….



My Thoughts
Sins Of The Heart is the first novel that I have read by Eve Silver and it did not disappoint.  In fact, I have found my newest paranormal series to obsess over.

The story is the first of a trilogy that mixes romance with mystery and a bit of Egyptian mythology.  At first, I was confused by all the talk about gods and demigods.   But as the story progressed and more was explained (and my inner nerd starting showing), I quickly got the gist of what was going on and was able to enjoy a great read.

Dagan is a soul reaper.  His job is to harvest dark souls from the most evil and deliver them to the Underworld so that the soul will not be recycled.  Ten years ago, Dagan met a teenage Roxy Tam who had been kidnapped and possibly about to be murdered.  Dagan was not there to take her soul but was attracted to the feisty young woman like a moth to a flame.  He was also fascinated by the fact that no human had ever been able  to sense his presence unless he let them.  Feeling something that he could not describe, he freed her, killed her captors, instructed her to have  a nice safe life, and left her.  But since that night he has never been able to stop thinking about her. 

Roxy was at the wrong place at the wrong time.  Despite the reaper claiming to have saved her life, years of unspoken secrets have taken her freedom and cursed her with a fate far worst than death.  She too had been unable to get the reaper out of her mind, but payback was  high on her agenda and she wouldn't rest until she paid him in full.

Years later, Dagan's brother is murdered and he and his remaining brothers will stop at nothing to find the killers and a chance to reincarnate him.  Strange events start to unfold  as a hot whodunit leaves friends and enemies scrambling for answers. In the process of running down clues, Dagan accidentally crosses paths with Roxy, who is now become his enemy.   Dagan  crosses the line when he goes after her with a passion even the fires of hell cannot put out.  He will give up everything and kill anyone that comes between him and his mate.

Dagan is my new book boyfriend because I  loved everything about his character.  He was dark and dangerous, a true alpha male when duty called.  I liked the fact that he gave Roxy her space to do what she needed to do even though his instincts told him differently.

Roxy was also a good character.  I loved the way she was able to remain strong and independent even though she had the deadliest of creatures stamping a "Mine" sign on her forehead.

My Rating
Five flowers of love and a place on my fav books shelf.  If you love romance and mystery like I do, Sins Of The Heart is a must have.  The only problem I had was the ending.  It leaves you just enough bread crumbs to encourage you to pick up book two, Sins Of The Soul, which will be out in September.



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Read and excerpt from Sins Of The Heart 

Also check out Sin's Daughter, the prequel to The Otherkin Series-available now

More Sins Of The Heart Reviews:
Lovin' Me Some Romance

6 Talk to me!:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I love Eve's covers! I haven't read her yet but do have the first of the series :)

VampFanGirl said...

Cute blog! Great review too.

While I enjoyed the read, I thought the ending was a bit too abrupt with regards to Roxy's and Daegan's HEA. I think if Ms. Silver had 25 pages more, this book would have been absolutely stellar. But I'm still craving the rest of the series even if the covers are hideous.

:) VFG

Unknown said...

Your blog is one of my faves (this review is one of the reasons why - awesome), which is why I have presented you with an award. Claim your award Here

Keep up the great work!

Lover Of Romance said...

Great Review!! Sounds like a great read!! I will definitely have to get down and read this exciting one!! Thanks for posting!

Yvonne said...

@VampFanGirl
I had a WTF moment at the last page too because I wanted more. I meant to only read the first and save the others for later, but they end with more questions and you have to keep reading to see what happens.
Sins Of The Soul,book two, picks right up where book one ends. Their HEA doesn't end there, you will see them constantly.

Yvonne said...

@ Paromantasy
Thanks for the blog love. I'm loving yours too, especially the True Blood recaps. And thanks for the award.