Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Author Spotlight: Interview with Margie Church

I hope you enjoyed my review of Love Bites earlier today, if you missed it, here’s the link.  I got a chance to interview Margie and here’s what she had to say:

Diva:  Describe yourself in five words.

Margie:  Funny, creative, deep, smart, surprising

Diva:  Who or what inspired you to become a writer?

Margie:  It chose me. I've been writing since I was a child, and I've spent my entire professional career as a copywriter/publicist/communications manager. I've only been writing books for about three years.

Diva:  Why did you decide to write erotica instead of general romance novels?

Margie:  If I'm going to tease you on the couch, or under the stars, and the reader knows exactly how that makes the character feel and readers are flipping the pages, totally engrossed in this love story, why would I shut the door and make them use their imagination about what happened next? To me, that's a huge bucket of frustration. Part of being a good writer is being able to draw the reader into the story with all their senses. What happens between the sheets or under the stars is part of that romantic journey. I want to share it with readers.

Diva:  How do you come up with your characters?  Are they combinations of people you know or totally made up?

Margie:  I'm sure there are traits and physical attributes of people I know in some of my characters, but the rest is fantasy. To begin, I look at photos of models and I research names and their meanings. Depending on what the character is supposed to be like, I might look at psychological disorders, court cases, medical websites, etc. If the character has a major role, I'll have a pretty good idea of what they're like from the beginning, right down to nicknames, favorite phrases, food, how they wear their hair, what car they drive, any relevant genealogy, etc. I keep that information handy to make sure I keep them in character throughout the story.


Diva:  What was your road to publication like?

Margie:  Most writers will cringe when they read this, but it was straight. First submission, first contract and it has been like that for five novels and a children's book. What has been a challenge – before you throw bricks at the screen and curse – is learning to write fiction properly. Editing really had me by the tail the first few books (bless my editors for their patience).  Although I've been writing for a few decades, every discipline of writing is different – from radio to novels – I had to learn it.

Diva:  What are some of your favorite books that you like to read over and over.

Margie:  I don't re-read books and I don't even re-watch movies very often. I'm strange that way.

Diva:  What new releases are on your To Be Read list?

Margie:  Serenity's Dream by Brita Addams and Summer Heat by K.B. Cutter.

Diva:  What else can we expect from you?

Margie:  Dangerous Love, the sequel to Love Bites, will be released by Noble Romance November 22. There are several great new characters you'll love to hate and a plot that will be just as unpredictable, gritty, and dramatic as Love Bites. And the romance between Jui and Wade? Totally hot and angst-filled.

I'm also working on a novella and my children's books.


Margie's Bio 
Margie Church has a degree in writing and editing and has been a professional writer and editor for over 25 years. She works as a copywriter and editor for a small direct marketing firm specializing in the credit union market and freelances feature articles for business-to-business magazines.
Her first three novels are erotic suspense in keeping with her moniker: Romance with SASS (Suspense, Angst, Seductive Sizzle). She also writes children's books under the pen name, Margaret Rose.
Margie lives in Minnesota and is married and has two children. Vegetable and flower gardening, biking, walking her dog, listening to music, and making people laugh are some of her passions.

Margie’s Web site and blog: http://www.romancewithsass.com
Facebook: Margie.Church
Twitter: @MargaretRChurch


And BTW, Margie will be guest posting and giving away ebook copies of her Love Bites series for my Spooktacular Halloween Bash.  Stay tune for dets.

3 Talk to me!:

Margie Church said...

Did I really say that stuff? LOL Thank you for making this day at Diva's so much fun. I appreciate seeing all my covers up and the promo for the Halloween and Dangerous Love tour. You rock.

Hugs,
Margie

Unknown said...

Hi Margie and Yvonne,
Great interview. We share our reason for writing erotica, but you have said it so well.

Thanks for mentioning my book as well. I do hope you enjoy Serenity.

Yvonne, I'd love to join you some day here. I love your blog!

Best of luck with your books, Margie. Can't wait to meet your vamps!!

Margie Church said...

Thanks, Brita.