Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review: Always by Jodi Langston

Series: None

Genre: Romantic Suspense

Release Date: October 2010

Publisher: Self Published

Author Website: http://jodilangston.blogspot.com/

Format I Read: ebook

Pages: 101(Nook pgs)

Source: Author

Read an excerpt
Book Blurb
Writer, Alexandra Martinson, woke from a coma ten years ago not remembering Detective Rick Ryan and the love they shared. Rick, her faithful friend and savior has waited patiently for her memory to return. As he readies himself to tell her how he feels, fate throws another obstacle in his path.

A Hollywood producer asks Alex to rewrite the script based on her novel and she reluctantly agrees. Alex has kept her heart and soul locked safely away until she's swept off her feet by the incredible hunk, Thane Hunter. The womanizing former child star is drawn to the shy writer with the painful past. They share an afternoon of passion in the Vermont woods as a storm and danger rages around them.

After ten years in prison, her ex-husband, Chris, is paroled and goes in search of revenge. No one is safe as those she cares about get caught up in the tempest of violence surrounding her.

Rick makes a stunning revelation to Alex, making her wonder if all he’s done for her has been out friendship or love.

When Alex is kidnapped, Rick and Thane must put aside their differences as they race to save her. Both men care about her, but only one man will do whatever it takes to make sure she survives. When the smoke clears will Alex choose Rick, or will the hot and handsome Thane Hunter steal her heart?

Awesomeness:
“Have you even read the book, Thane?” Kyle asked. There was a time or two that he wanted to ask if he knew how to read but he bit his tongue.

“I read for a living, not for pleasure,” Thane protested

“No, you pretend for a living. She’s got a new book coming.” Kyle reached in his bag and pulled out Alex’s book and threw it at him.

“I’m not into that whole romance novel thing. I like my sex real.”

My Thoughts
This is the first book that I have read by Jodi Langston. It had so much drama that it was a real page turner for me. The story centers around Alex, a reclusive novelist. Her crazy ex husband tried to kill her ten years ago and she’s been looking over her shoulder ever since. When he is released from prison he begins to stalk her claiming that she will always be his.

Her best friend Rick steps in to protect her. He’s a cop and he’s never thought twice about going through hell and high water to protect her. He’s secretly in love with her, but willing to remain her friend if that’s all she wants from him.

When Alex is asked to rewrite a script for a movie based on one of her books, she becomes involved with Thane, the star of the show. Thane is a playboy looking for his next wife so he takes an immediate interest in her. He isn’t used to having to work to get a woman in to bed, but once he does, he regrets it.

I found Always to be a very good and I was able to read it in one sitting. The plot was and easy to follow and the characters were written well. I did not like the character of Alex. I guess that’s due to the fact that I am not a fan of the weak and whiny. To me she seemed like she was always one step away from a pill overload or a mental breakdown. I get that she was a victim, but her character was so withdrawn that she never learned how to became a survivor.

I also didn’t care much for Thane. He wooed but backed off at the first sign of real danger. One minute he was ready to declare his instant love for her, then in the next minute he wanted to move on to someone less complicated.

The real hero of the story was Rick because he was the perfect good guy. He was loyal and trust worthy and had a beat downs on reserve. I did feel sorry for him because he spent so much time pining over Alex only to see her replace him with someone else. To be honest, I would have been happy with Rick getting with someone just to show Alex what she was missing. But, then I would be bummed because that would mess up a long overdue HEA.

Overall, I enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more of Jodi Langston’s work. If you’re a fan of romantic suspense, you’ll want to check out this novella.

Rating
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Three flowers of love-it was a good read, but left me wanting  more

Other Reviews Of This Book:
Goodreads
Shelfari

1 Talk to me!:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I am loving your review on this book. I myself have not read this book but I will make sure I do. Thank you for your review and I cannot wait for more reviews :)


-Grace Summers