Friday, December 10, 2010

Review: Let's Eat by Denise Burroughs



Series:  None

Genre:  Cookbook

Release Date:  May 2010

Publisher:  Authorhouse

Format I Read:  Paperback

Pages:  51

Book Blurb
Denise Burroughs combines her rich Italian heritage with years of southern tradition in Let’s Eat!, her debut cookbook.  Her love for cooking shines through in this comprehensive book, suitable for all levels of cooking experience.  Let’s Eat! provides readers with simple, inexpensive dishes.  Recipes range from “Potato Flake Chicken” to “Chocolate Italian Cookies.”

Her strong Italian background shines through in many recipes, combining her love of tradition and her passion for rich flavors.

My Thoughts
First of all, I’d like it to be known that I love to eat and I love to try new dishes.  I’m not the best cook in the world, so I rely on good recipes to disguise my lack of culinary skills.  So, I was excited to get Let’s Eat because the author is Italian and who doesn’t love Italian food? I was really anxious to see what recipes she had to offer.

When I got the book, I was a little disappointed.  I was expecting a nice sized cookbook (for the price it’s going for) with some tasty dishes that would make me eager to try.  That was not the case. 

Let’s Eat is a simple cookbook with dishes that do not require a lot of preparation.  It even features general cooking tips like preparing, measuring and substituting.  So, if you are not ready for the Rachel Ray or Paula Dean cooking level, you could still whip up a nice meal in no time.

The book did not have a table of content so I had to flip through the book to find out where everything was.  Usually cookbooks are organized with chicken dishes here, desserts there,  etc, but this book seemed to have no particular order.  I found that to be odd because most cookbooks that I own or have leafed through always have some type of organization to let you know what area to thumb through to find what you are looking for.

After sifting through the recipes, I did find some favorites like Lasagna, Manicotti, and Swedish Meatballs and Macaroni and Cheese.  I already know how to make these dishes off the top of my head, but for someone that doesn’t, the instructions are simple and easy to follow.

None of the recipes were complicated, but a lot of them just did not appeal to me like Marshmallow Potatoes, Mayonnaise Cake, and Zucchini Cake.  Not to say that they may not be tasty dishes, but those were just not high on my list to try.

Another thing that I noticed was a lack of pictures.  There are a few pictures, but not enough.  With me, if a dish looks good, it makes me want to try it.  If I can’t see it, nine times out of ten, I won’t try it.

Rating
I give Let’s Eat two flowers of love.  Although the book had easy to prepare recipes, it just didn’t have any dishes that stood out enough to recommend.


PhotobucketPhotobucket

Other Reviews Of This Book:


0 Talk to me!: