Saturday, January 22, 2011

ARC Review: A Brush Of Darkness by Allison Pang

Series:  TBA (yes there will be more!)


Genre:   Urban Fantasy


Release Date:  January 25, 2011


Publisher:  Pocket Books


Format I Read:  ARC Paperback


Pages:  343


Source:  Publicist


Reading ChallengeKick Ass Heroine Challenge


Read an excerpt
Book Blurb
The man of her dreams might be the cause of her nightmares.

Six months ago, Abby Sinclair was struggling to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Now, she has an enchanted iPod, a miniature unicorn living in her underwear drawer, and a magical marketplace to manage. But despite her growing knowledge of the OtherWorld, Abby isn’t at all prepared for Brystion, the dark, mysterious, and sexy-as- sin incubus searching for his sister, convinced Abby has the key to the succubus’s whereabouts.

Abby has enough problems without having this seductive shape-shifter literally invade her dreams to get information. But when her Faery boss and some of her friends vanish, as well, Abby and Brystion must form an uneasy alliance. As she is sucked deeper and deeper into this perilous world of faeries, angels, and daemons, Abby realizes her life is in as much danger as her heart—and there’s no one she can trust to save her.

Awesomeness:
My back arched instinctively.  Whatever his attitude, the incubus certainly knew his business, and the heat that burned at my core wanted it.  Badly.  And yet…I was standing on a dark pier, dry-humping a guy I barely knew, in return for what?  Helping him find his missing sister?

My Thoughts
Damn, damn, damn!  Those were my thoughts when I came to the end of this book.  A Brush Of Darkness had me hooked from the beginning.  It’s full of action, colorful characters, and plenty of magical drama.

Abby is human with a painful past.  On an emotional whim she accepts a magical contract with a faery.  Unsure of her actual duties and clueless to the extend of her magical talent, Abby suddenly finds herself in the middle of a magical mess.  Her mentor is missing, an incubus is stalking her, and she becomes the unexpected caretaker of a perverted miniature unicorn.   

First of all, I am a cover whore, so I like covers that relate to the story and entice you to wonder what’s behind the pages.  I liked this cover.  I can easily imagine the cover model as Abby.  Fierce, feisty, with a magical air. 

I think Allison Pang did an excellent job with this book.  I liked the story because it was easy to follow and kept me entertained.  The characters were funny at times, but easily shifted into dangerous creatures you might not want to piss off on the regular. 

Abby was a great heroine.  She was a little snarky, and in serious need of guidance, but I enjoyed reading about her adventures.   Her relationship with Brystion was what kept me turning pages.  Their HEA is not what I expected, but will keep me reading future books to see how their relationship develops.

My favorite character was Phineas, the little unicorn.  He was a drunken pervert, but often the voice of reason.  He was a strange little addition to the story, but he kept Abby on her toes and was the source of a lot of funny moments.

Overall, this book was very good and a recommended read and I look forward to future books.

Rating
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
4 flowers of love.  Very good and a recommended read

Other Reviews Of This Book:

1 Talk to me!:

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I enjoyed this one as well. And I agree... how great was Phineas?! Loved him! Great review!