Monday, June 4, 2012

Review: Fever by Lauren Destefano

Read an excerpt
Genre:   Young Adult, Dystopia
Release Date:  February 2012
Series:  The Chemical Garden Trilogy, Book #2
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Author Website:  http://laurendestefano.com/
Pages:  352
Source:  Purchased
Rating:  Three Flowers Of Love

Book Blurb
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but they’re still in danger. Outside, they find a world even more disquieting than the one they left behind. Determined to get to Manhattan and to find Rhine’s twin brother Rowan, the two press forward, amidst threats of being captured again . . . or worse.


The road they are on is long and perilous-and in a world where young women only live to age 20 and men die at age 25, time is precious. In this sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price-now that she has more to lose than ever.

My Thoughts
I loved Wither, the first book in this series, so I was excited to finally get my hands on this one.  I wasn’t as drawn into this story as I was with the first book.  While it picked up exactly where the first left off, it still fell short for me.  I guess I was so ready for Rhine to have her freedom that when she finally got it, it wasn’t as grand as I thought it would be.  It was actually depressing to watch her and Gabriel go from bad to worse and back again.  It seemed like they were never going to get a break.  And when they finally did, Vaughn showed up out of the blue and threatened to take it all away.  Those were the only moments that made me excited to turn the page and see what was going to happen next.

I wasn’t fond of the new characters that were introduced either. I hated the gloom and hopeless feeling that each place they stopped created.  I had a feeling that finding her brother wouldn’t fit into this part of the story because Rhine was suppose to go through more tragedy before her tale finally played out. 

The ending of the book was the best part for me because it brought back the sister wife and the husband.  I had secretly wanted Rhine to go back to the mansion not only for her health, but because I wanted to know what had happened in her absence. 

Overall, the book was a good read.  It didn’t suck me in like the first, but Ms Destefano did a wonderful job describing each scene making me feel like I was right there with the characters, feeling and seeing everything with them.  This is probably what will keep me glued to the series and anxiously awaiting the next book.  I have a feeling that the third book will be well worth the wait.



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Other Reviews Of This Book:

0 Talk to me!: