Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn



Genre:   Fiction, Mystery Suspense
Read an excerpt
Release Date:  June 2012
Series: None
Publisher:  Crown Publishing Group
Author Website:
Pages:  432
Source: Purchased
Rating:  Three Flowers Of Love

Book Blurb
Marriage can be a real killer.
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?
   As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

My Thoughts
Okay, so this is “The Book” that brought me out of my book drought.  If you have been sticking with the blog (thank you by the way), you can see that I’ve been off the map A Long Time.  After having my baby, I just couldn’t find the time to get any reading done.  I started this book in the earlier part of the year, couldn’t get into it so I got side tracked with life.  The only reason I picked it back up is because I kept hearing good reviews and the fact that a movie is being made, helped too.  So here’s my two cents…

First of all, the beginning was a slow read so my attention fizzled. I could not get excited about their love story because their relationship just didn’t click for me.  I could tell that there were cracks so I held on for the fireworks.  Two things kept me reading:  1) the mystery-did he kill her or did she just say “screw this’ and disappear into a new life  and 2) the “crazy in love” act–these two were just crazy for no reason at all and I love a character that’s not afraid to show just how crazy they are.

Usually, I have a favorite character for each book, but none for this one.  With Nick and Amy, I couldn’t decide who I wanted to sympathize with or who to hate.  Nick, I found so many reasons not to like him so let’s just say he was the poster child for who not to marry.   Amy was too perfect.  I just knew she was bipolar and Nick made it so easy for her to turn on him.  I just didn’t expect her to be so thorough with her revenge.  In the end, I decided to dislike them both.  Both were too selfish to let go when they knew their marriage was toxic.     
The author did a fantastic job with the storyline, but I couldn’t bring myself to give it a higher rating.  There were good attention grabbing parts (Amy parts) but too many boring parts (Nick parts) and the ending threw me for a loop.  There was no explanation, no tidy clean up, just nothing.  I was left hanging.  If there is a part two, I will all over it, but for now, I want more Amy and Nick…

Overall, I think the book is a good read.  It’s definitely something you could kick back and relax with.  Based on the mystery and suspense alone, I would recommend.   I can’t wait to see the movie.  Whoever is cast as Amy will have to nail it.  Her performance alone will be the highlight.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Other Reviews Of This Book:

0 Talk to me!: