Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Mane Squeeze by Shelly Laurenston

Title:  The Mane Squeeze 
Author:  Shelly Laurenston 
Released:  October 27, 2009 
Series:  Pride Stories, Book 4
How I Got It:  Purchased ebook for NOOK
Lend Me Feature:  Yes


Book Summary:
Growing up on the tough Philly streets, Gwen O'Neill has learned how to fend for herself. But what is she supposed to do with a nice, suburban Jersey boy in the form of a massive Grizzly shifter? Especially one with a rather unhealthy fetish for honey, moose, and…uh…well, her. Yet despite his menacing ursine growl and four-inch claws, Gwen finds Lachlan "Lock" MacRyrie cute and really sweet. He actually watches out for her, protects her, and unlike the rest of her out-of-control family manages not to morbidly embarrass her. Too bad cats don't believe in forever.
At nearly seven feet tall, Lock is used to people responding to him in two ways: screaming and running away. Gwen-half lioness, half tigress, all kick-ass-does neither. She's sexy beyond belief and smart as hell, but she's a born protector. Watching out for the family and friends closest to her but missing the fact that she's being stalked by a murderous enemy who doesn't like hybrids…and absolutely hates Gwen. Lock probably shouldn't get involved, but he will. Why? Because this is Gwen-and no matter what the hissing, roaring, drape destroying feline says about not being ready to settle down, Lock knows he can't simply walk away. Not when she's come to mean absolutely everything to him.

My Thoughts
OMG!!!  Shelly Laurenson's books never fail to make me laugh until I cry.  I've had this book since it first came out, but just got around to reading it.  Yay, I am quite crazy for waiting because it was so great.  I had it before I even got my Nookie!

Lock was such as sweetie.  Even though he terrified everyone else, he was always sweet and lovable to Gwen.  And god knows she needed that having to deal with her crazy ass mother, Roxy and her self centered idiot brothers, Mitch and Bren.

I liked Lock's total package.  Even though he is considered an Alpha male, he wasn't all hung up on controlling every situation.  He was so laid back.  Some may think he was a wuss because he let Gwen boss him around half the time, but in the end, Lock always got Gwen to give in so he'd always get exactly what he wanted.

 Gwen was a lovable heroine.  She was kinda out there in the beginning, but I quickly realized that she had to be tough considering where and who she came from.  The romance between her and Lock was so on point.  It was very believable and not forced.

Now Brendon and Mitch, man those two were a bunch of pussies, like always.  They bitch and moan about every single thing.  And who were they to think that could keep Lock from Gwen?  The way Lock kept tossing them around like chew toy ways so hilarious.  And then these suppose to be King Of The Jungle pussies, all up in his face like they were going to kick his ass.  Priceless! 

And we can't forget those Smith hillbillies.  Beside the O'Neil Pride, the Smith Pack are THE funniest shifter family.  I especially liked Smitty's wilddog wife, Jess.  Such a crybaby, but a total BITCH when she wanted something, and got down and dirty just to get what she wanted.

Gwen's friend, Blayne was also a favorite for me.  At first, I thought she was just one of those ride or die friends with no backbone.  But she provided to be quite a lethal chick that only wanted to see her BFF happy.

My Rating
I give this book 5 stars because it was entertaining from start to finish.  You never know what's going to come out of the character's mouths, nor do you know what retarded shenanigans they would get into.

The only thing I didn't like about this books was the cover...WTF?  Lock is suppose to be young and handsome, so maybe I need my eyes checked.  No, I'm pretty sure that this model is neither.  I've seen this guy on several book covers, and he's really not much to look at.  Give us a full fledged hottie to look at, please!!!!  It's essential our book enjoyment.


Read an excerpt from The Mane Squeeze

0 Talk to me!: