Monday, October 18, 2010

Review: She Smells The Dead by E J Stevens





Author:  E J Stevens

Series:  Spirit Guide, Book #1

Genre:  YA, Paranormal, Shapeshifters

Published:  August 2010

Publisher:  Sacred Oaks Press

Format I Read: Paperback

Pages:  168

How I Got It:  received from author

Book Summary:
It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like the ghost hunting on television.

SHE SMELLS THE DEAD.

The smell impressions are becoming stronger. Yuki is being visited in her dreams, and she suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. To make matters worse her crush on Garrett is going unrequited, Yuki's friend Emma is on a rampage against bee oppression, and Calvin Miller mysteriously disappears.

Will Yuki be able to focus her powers in time to save the lost soul who is haunting her? Meanwhile, who will save Yuki from following the spirits into the light?

My Thoughts
Yuki is a unique teenager.  She has an annoying habit of smelling dead people.  When spirits have unfinished business, they haunt her until she is able to figure out how to help them.  Instead of seeing or conversing with the dead, each one has a certain smell that alerts her of their presence.  With the help of her friends, Yuki is about to be once fierce ghost whisperer.

First of all, I love the cover.  I also loved the storyline.  I’ve read a lot of ghost stories about people being able to interact with the dead and being able to help trapped spirits move on; but none where the dead could be helped without actually seeing or talking to them.  It’s a different twist and I think that’s what made She Smells The Dead so interesting to me. 

The story was a little slow at first, but once I got a sense of who Yuki was and her ability, I did enjoy the story.  I loved her support system.  Although Yuki was considered different to most kids at school, she still had Calvin and Emma by her side to share her secret with and to keep her life normal-when she’s not being haunted.

She Smells The Dead lays the foundation for a great new YA series.  E J Stevens did a wonderful job of introducing this series.  I am very interested to see what will happen next. 

My  Rating
I give She Smells The Dead four flowers of love.  If you love ghosts, Goths, and a little bit of YA romance, you will want to check this book out.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


BTW, E J Stevens will be guest posting Oct 25th and giving away a signed copy of She Smells The Dead and swag.


1 Talk to me!:

Ragan said...

This book has the creepiest cover. And oddly enough, it fits the story. Smelling dead people? Seriously? lol Good review.
Ragan