Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review: The Games People Play by C J Domino

Genre:   Fiction
Release Date:  August 2010
Publisher:  Shero Productions
Author Website:  C J Domino
Pages:  230
Source:  Author
Rating:  Four flowers of love

Back Cover Blurb
When people look at my life this is what they see, a picture perfect couple living fabulously.  But behind closed door it’s another story as I struggle to maintain this status quo glory.  With bitches on my left and ho’s on my right, it’s a constant fight trying to remain a glamorous trophy wife.  Sex, lies and alibis keep us together, but what’s done in the dark will never last forever.
    
Meet Mercedes Barone, the beautiful wife of a former NBA All-Star.  To the world she has it made, living high off of life, but as you read along you’ll soon learn that walking in her three-inch heels is no easy task.  From her backstabbing relatives to her husband’s baby mama’s, what really happens when a ride or die vixen is fed up with the drama?


My Thoughts
I have to say that this book did surprise me.  At first I dismissed it as another hood tale with weak characters and an even weaker storyline.  Once I started reading, I couldn’t get enough of the characters.

The Games People Play has more drama than a Lifetime movie.  The story is mostly told through Mercedes, the main character.  I had mixed feelings about her.  On one hand I felt sorry for her because she put up with so much from her husband Terrance. He lied, cheated, and became physical with her all because she knew what he was about.  On the other hand, I felt like she was a little too crazy and needed to think things through before she acted. 

Terrance in a word was a scumbag.  He already had one child outside the marriage but had another on the way.  And he had the audacity to go ballistic when he found out Mercedes had a friend on the side.  In the end, I felt like he got exactly what he deserved.

Bishop, what a sexy MF.  ,He was also married and had no business hooking up with Mercedes, but there was old love between the two so I really wanted them to work out.   I was so glad when he got rid of his wife.  I didn’t feel sorry for her because she had secrets of her own and didn’t deserve him. 

My favorite characters were Mercedes's siblings, Shelby and Bentley.  Shelby’s motherly advice laced with her twisted Christian beliefs mixed with Bentley’s blunt, but honest statements had me rolling.  They both loved their sister and didn’t want to see her suffering, but sometimes it takes family to talk about you before you really listen.

Overall, the history between the three main characters really kept me interested.  Some parts were a little too ghetto for me, but the author made it work and I enjoyed it. 


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Other Reviews Of This Book:
Shelfari

2 Talk to me!:

Notorious Spinks said...

The cover is a turn-off but... since you say it's good I might give it a try. LOL!

Yvonne said...

LOL! Spinks, where have you been? Yes, give it a try. I let a coworker read it and she didn't want to give it back!