Monday, June 20, 2011

Review: Suspicions by Sasha Campbell

Genre:  Fiction
Release Date:  May 2011
Series:  None
Publisher:  Dafina Books/Kensington Publishing
Author Website:  Sasha Campbell
Format Read:  Hardcover
Pages:  320
Source:  Purchased
Rating:  Five stars


Book Blurb
Three women are about to learn more than they ever wanted to know about secrets--and the men who keep them. . .

As the owner of Situations, the hottest beauty salon on the south side of Chicago, Noelle Gordon has a direct line to the private lives of her clients. But when an abandoned baby girl appears on her doorstep, Noelle finds herself at the center of a personal drama. Could the baby be her husband's? Or maybe her grown son's? Both men deny it--but Noelle is sure one of them is lying. . .

Meanwhile, Noelle's employees are discovering that their own romantic relationships harbor a secret or two. The truth isn't always pretty. But can they find the strength to live with it--and with the men they love?


Luv It Lines:
I had to walk over to my husband and sniff him, because I swore he shit his pants the way he was staring at her.  He had gotten caught and was stunned to silence.


Smiling, I brought a hand to my waist.  “Your date?  Isn’t that her peeling out of the parking lot?”  Sure enough she was burning rubber.  “I wonder why?”  I then swung around and addressed the customers.  “Hey everybody!  We got herpes in the house!”

My Thoughts
While this book had over three hundred pages, I read it in one setting.  There was so much going on that I couldn’t tear myself from the pages.   I gasped, I laughed and I cried with the characters as their lives got turned upside down. 

The author introduced a host of characters that you could easily love and hate.  That to me deserved the five flower rating because the book kept me turning pages trying to see who and what was going to blow up next.  While I am one to turn down a book that’s filled with too much hood BS, I do enjoy the ones that don’t always focus on drugs and coming up in the game. 

I loved Noelle’s drama the most.  Her problems had her wanting to kick ass and take names later.  Someone left, yes left a baby on her doorstep.  Now the average women would be like WTF, but since Noelle really wanted another baby (which her husband promptly said hell no to), she’s thrilled to look after this one.  She’s sure that the baby is family, but she just can’t decide if it’s her grandchild or her stepchild. 

And then her best friend’s bombshell really took the cake.  WOW.  I wanted to reach through the pages and beat her senseless for what she did.  There are invisible lines that no friend should ever cross and this was one of them.  While searching for her stepchild/grandchild’s mother, Noelle accidently finds out whom her friend has been creeping around with and it’s not a happy revelation.

Tiffany, another one of the main characters, was a simple hot mess.  She’s one of those friends that you really want to get a clue.  How does a woman that’s saving herself for marriage give up the goodies DAYS before the wedding hoping to keep him committed and faithful?  Really how does that work?  Only to be made a fool of and dumped on the eve of the wedding?  Common sense should have told her that if she already had doubts in her mind, he wasn’t worth it.  Especially after the news she got from Tiffany.  But I guess a fool in love accepts all her man’s flaws even if it’s a long ass list of them.

Candy’s life wasn’t as dramatic as the other ladies, but she did have her baby daddy issues.    After trying to do the right thing by giving out confidential info, she did lose her job.  But whatever the circumstances, it opened the door to finding a better one.  And as far as her relationship with Chauncey, I thought he was a keeper.  And not because he could do the hell out of a pedicure, but because he really was a nice guy.  Although he didn’t lie to her, he wasn’t honest with her either.  He had all opportunities to tell her the truth about himself before everything blew up.  In the end, everything worked out.

Overall let me just say that the book kept my attention until the last page.   I loved the story and Sasha Campbell is an author that I will look forward to reading more of.  

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Other Reviews Of This Book:


4 Talk to me!:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Sounds like lots of drama and fun. Great review!

Jade said...

You have me intrigued. I too had grown tired of all the 'hood' books and fond myself avaoiding them. But this sounds like a good story without all the crap. I'll have to look into this title. Great review, glad you loved the book.

Lenasledgeblog.com said...

Great review. I love the model on the cover, her skin looks radient. The premise of the novel sounds great too, funny, engaging, quick pace. All the things I like in a novel.

Yvonne said...

@Alexis
Yes, lots of drama! Loved it.

@Jade
I do pick up a few hood books, but most of them just aren't worth reading. This book had a good story, though.

@Lena
IKR, the model does have great skin.
The story is quick paced and does get you caught up in their drama.