Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey




Five Stars


Book Summary
Marrying a vampire definitely doesn't fit in to Jessica Packwood's senior-year "get a life" plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth and he's her long-lost fiance. Armed with new found confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire's Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But Jessica has never even been kissed-how can she possibly commit herself to a long-term relationship? Or an eternal relationship, for that matter?


After reading and loving Twilight, I thought nothing could top Bella and Edward in the teen star crossed lovers category, but Jessica and Lucius are my new besties.

Jessica thinks that she is an average seventeen year old farm girl living in a sleepy Pennsylvania town where nothing much happens. She doesn't know about the secret that her parents have kept from her her whole life. Once this secret comes out, all hell will break loose.

The secret is that Jessica was born Antanasia Dragonir, a vampire princess. A princess that is the key to preserving peace between two royal Romanian vampires families. At birth, Jessica was promised to marry Lucias , the Vladescu prince. Their marriage would unite the two families and prevent a bloody war. When, Jessica's parents died, they entrusted her safety to the Packwoods, American scientists who were well aware of vampire society and what her future held for her. They swore that when the time came, they would honor the pact. The problem is that they never got the chance to explain everything before Lucius showed up to claim her.

Lucius is tall, handsome, mysterious, snotty, arrogant, and a royal pain in the ass. He arrives to find that his princess is a simple farm girl in desperate need of a makeover. He is appalled to see her doing what he calls "servant work".

Tired of the Packwood's games, Lucian fits himself into Jessica's life and prepares to take what is rightfully his. It is his duty to bring "Antanasia" home to Romania to fulfill the pact, or suffer his ruthless uncle's wrath.

Despite the Packwood's protests, they allow Lucius to live with them and try to help prepare Jessica for her future as a vampire princess.

I have never heard of Beth Fantaskey, but I am so glad that this book was recommended to me. I usually don't read a lot of young adult books because the characters are usually spoiled, whiny teenagers. And they skimp on the sex! Like we really believe that most teens aren't having sex. Personally, I think that the only teens that aren't having sex are Bella and Edward, but that's another story.

Anyway, this book is funny as hell! I started reading it in the bookstore and couldn't put it down long enough to drive myself home. Forget texting while driving, what about reading while driving. Stupid, yes, I know. I finally put it down so I could drive, but picked it back up at every red light. The story drew me that fast. I have definitely found a new favorite that I will read over and over again.

I liked Jessica because she only had a few whiny moments and you can stand to read the whole book without wanting to skip to the good parts. You'll want to read every last word in this book because it's all good. Jessica has spunk and is not afraid to deal with things. Her relationship with Lucius, or lack of relationship is so much fun to read about.

Lucius is the classic tortured soul who doesn't think anyone cares or could care for him. I didn't like him at first because he was a royal asshole. The letters that he writes to his uncle about his failures (to woo Jessica and how he tries to get used to American ways) are funny as hell. He thinks that he is the best thing going and can't understand why Jessica prefers her neighbor, Jake, which he calls "squatty boy" over him. I still haven't figured out what "squatty boy" means but each time he mentions it, I can't control my laughter.

In the end, Lucius turned out to be the good guy. He sacrifices his own life for the woman he loves. How Bella and Edward of them...but much better, and less whiny.

While I was finishing this review, I was searching for a book pix to use and visiting BF's website. Why I've never visited, I'm not sure, but so glad that I just did. I was hoping that there would be a follow up story or two because the ending was really not an ending. It kinda left the door open for anything to happen. When, I went to the website, it has the full story of their wedding. Woohoo! I do love me some freebies! Here's the link

2 Talk to me!:

silverhartgirl said...

This book looks great now i have to add it to my long list of, When I get more money I will have to buy list.

Yvonne said...

Please do, it is a great book. I heard about it and picked it up on a whim and was glad I did.